Originally designed for commercial septic systems and then re-engineered to accommodate residential fixtures, the SMART-Treat MBBR treats wastewater inside a septic system with waste-eating biofilm that move throughout the water of a septic system.
Reactor - Treatment
In other words, small organisms move throughout the septic system and clean the wastewater within it. This treatment involves denitrification (converting nitrate to nitrogen gas and releasing it into the air). Nitrates should be removed from water because of the risks of methemoglobinemia, or blue baby disease, among other risks. You can read more about various water toxins, including nitrates, here.
SMART-Treat is extends the life of a septic system while also treating wastewater. It keeps equipment operational while protecting and sustaining the environment
SMART-Treat is economical, reliable, easy to install and operate, and compact. It is ideal for retrofit or new installations and can be easily designed for future expansion to minimize current capital expenditures.
The SMART-Treat Process:
- Buoyant carrier elements are placed in a tank or tanks in volume to match the treatment requirement.
- Compressed air is delivered to a header system near the bottom of the tank.
- A biofilm grows on those carrier elements, which then move throughout the tank.
- As air passes through the water and past the media, the wastes in the water act as food for the biofilm.
- The carrier elements are self-cleaning.
- A retention screen is placed at the outlet of the reactor to keep the biofilm elements that have just consumed the toxins in the reactor.
- Cleaned water is discharged while settled biological solids are occasionally returned to the primary solids separation zone (septic tank) for routine disposal with primary settled solids.
A custom-sized and economical option for single family homes and small buildings or businesses to more efficiently and effectively process wastewater in a septic system.
High Strength Waste
The High Strength Waste MBBR allows for highly efficient BOD removal. It has a quick, economical installation and larger surface area of biofilm carriers compared to other treatment technologies.
Denitrification systems utilize multiple aerobic stages of treatment to remove BOD and fully nitrify waste streams to any nitrogen limit needed.