Pig Nursery Lagoon Odor Reduction
Issue: A 17,000-head pig nursery is experiencing odor problems in a 16 million gallon manure lagoon.
- System loading is 2,890 lbs. BOD/day.
- Lagoon BOD is 12,100 mg/L
- Lagoon HPC (Heterotrophic Plate Count) is 750,000 cfu/ml
- Lagoon TKN is 1,080 mg/L
- Lagoon TSS is 6,180 mg/L
- Malodor is high
Action: Install six 2 HP MBD (Micro Bubble Diffusion) aerators.
Results: After 42 days including normal daily influent:
- BOD 1,150 mg/L
- HPC 3,600,000 cfu/ml
- TKN 1,100 mg/L
- Aeration system was sized large enough for odor and BOD reduction but not so large as to reduce TKN and thereby fertilizer value.
- TSS 1,190 mg/L
- Malador reduced significantly